2017 year in review
This year I've had my head down in work. I wrapped up my Lifehacks comic book series. And I launched Blocks Edit, my new web app startup for email marketers.
During this holiday season, as I've tried to take some time off, I ended up revamping my ovidem.com site. Some of it is visually noticable, but most of the work is under-the hood as I rewrote more than half of the code and switched the blog from using WordPress to a simpler flat-file system with no database. I've even added blog categories to better organize articles.
And as has become tradition, below are my favorite things for the year. The complete list is on my Faves section where I've also added my all-time recommendations for each type of thing (except movies which there are just too many of!).
- Movies - The Nice Guys, Secretary, Miami Blues, A Face in the Crowd, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, What the Health (documentary), Kong: Skull Island, Dawn of the Dead Director's Cut, The Lego Batman Movie, Wonder Woman, Audition, Drone, Altered States, Season of the Witch, Gilbert (documentary)
- TV shows - I started watching and enjoyed every season of Orange is the New Black this year, with another good season of Better Call Saul; Death Note was my fave anime of the year; and of course this season's South Park was good, as usual
- Books - I managed to get some good reading in this year – The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, Presto! by Penn Jillette, Baddass: Making Users Awesome by Kathy Sierra, Think Simple: How Smart Leaders Defeat Complexity by Ken Segall, Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury, WTF? What's the Future and Why It's Up to Us by Tim O'Reilly, and Flow: the Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi – were all great through and through!
- Videogames - Trials of the Blood Dragon for the Xbox One was fun; the new Mass Effect: Andromeda also on the Xbox One was good; Data Wing on the iPad Mini was an enjoyable playthrough; South Park: Fractured But Whole on Xbox One was as advertised: like playing South Park; and a game I didn't play but enjoyed watching a video playthrough for on YouTube: The Talos Principle
- Comics - I'm still enjoying the Back to the Future and Think Tank series and I've dived in to Alan Moore's Swamp Thing which I'm enjoying so far
If you'd like to keep track of your own favorites, be sure to sign up to be notified when the LogStuff app is available.
That's all for this year, happy 2018!
If you want to log your own favorites, check out the Log Stuff app.